Foreign Language Information
Students are required to attain a minimum proficiency of foreign language through the third year (one year further than the college language requirement). This can normally be fulfilled by taking 18+ credits of a foreign language in classes offered at ODU or with associated programs. Students generally fulfill the requirement in any of the following ways:
- Spanish, French, and German--101, 102, 201, 202, 311U, 312U
- Russian--101, 102, 201, 202, 305, 305
- Arabic--111F, 212 plus 6 credits of another foreign language
- Chinese--111F, 112, 211, 212
- Italian--101F, 102F, 201, 202 plus 6 credits of another foreign language (e.g., ARAB 111F)
- Japanese--111F, 212 + 6 additional credits in Japanese.
Students whose first language is not English may have the language requirement waived. General Education Courses
All International Studies majors must receive a C or better in ENGL 110C and ENGL 11C, Two HIST courses from 101H, 102H, 103H, and 105H, and in GEOG 100S, POLS 100S or POLS102 and ECON 201S.Students must fulfill all general education requirements for the College of Arts and Letters.Methods Courses
Students should take the methods course --- GEOG 308, HIST 201, POLS 308, SOC 337, or WMST 470 --- in the sophomore or junior year.Senior Seminar
All International Studies majors are required to take the senior seminar and must receive a C or better.The Seminar is offered once each academic year in the Spring. Topics vary based on teaching faculty.
All BAIS majors are required to take:
- GEOG 305 (World Resources) or GEOG 320 (Political Geography)
- HIST 405 (International Relations: the Nineteenth Century System) (generally offered only in the Fall)
- POLS 323 (International Political Economy) or POLS 324 (International Relations Theory).
*It is recommended that students take both of the listed GEOG and POLS courses courses counting the second one in each discipline as an elective.Electives
15 Credits (5 courses) of approved electives are required.One elective must be selected from the approved list in each of the following disciplines: Geography, History, and Political Science.One course (3 credits) must be in a field outside the disciplines of Geography, History, and Political Science.Written permission of the Director of BAIS must be granted in order to use a course not on the approved list to meet elective requirements.The list of approved courses is available from the director of BAIS or at the BAIS website http://al.odu.edu/bais/appcourses.shtml
OTHER INFORMATIONStudy Abroad
Study Abroad or an international experience is expected for International Studies majors, and ODU credit is easily available for study abroad programs.The BAIS program works closely with the Office of International Programs Study Abroad Office.Consult with the Study Abroad Office before embarking on any program for which you intend to seek credit. Please visit http://www.odu.edu/studyabroad for more information.Internships/Practicums
Students are encouraged to participate in internships/practicums for academic credit.Three credits may be counted towards the major (as an elective course) with the permission of the director of BAIS.Generally credits are earned through practicum programs in POLS, GEOG, HIST, or Foreign Languages. Further information and assistance in finding internships is available at the CareerManagementCenter in WebbCenter.
Model International Organizations
Students are encouraged to participate in model international organizations including Model UN, Model Organization of American states, and Model League of Arab States.A maximum of six credits may be counted towards the major.GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
- Complete all general education and major requirements.
- A minimum of 120 Credit Hours.
- Overall Grade Point Average of 2.0.
- Writing Exit Exam (Students may take the exam after 58 credits.Exit Exams are offered several times a semester.See the schedule book for a list of times and dates.)
- Application to graduate.
- Complete Senior Assessment Survey (on-line)
DEPARTAMENTAL HONORS OPTION
Students may earn honors in the major by fulfilling all the degree
requirements and meeting the honors requirements indicated below. The
requirements for honors do not increase the credit hours necessary for the
major. The requirements are as follows:
1. Attain an overall grade point average of 3.25.
2. Attain a grade point average in the major of 3.3.
3. Earn honors in nine hours of courses in the major at the 300/400
level,with no more than six hours taken from the same instructor.
Ask for more information about this option during your next advising